Sunday, March 29, 2015

Tower Map and Keyboard Love

So, the story goes, after you fend off the attack on your village, you head to the nearby ruins to take out the remaining threat there. So I made a "tower  in the forest" map for that fight. The procedurally generated forest is feeling a lot better, and I'm getting faster at putting these map algorithms together.


The mission strongly reminds me of a UFO crash in X-COM: searching through the woods for a circular structure, and then breaching it and clearing it out room by room. I'm using a Voronoi algorithm for the tower interior, so it gives very different maps each times.

 I still need to fill in the tower interior.. What do people get up to in towers, anyway? I guess I need to think that through some more.

In addition, I did a bunch of work on UI, camera, and usability, including keyboard shortcuts. We have a pretty flexible shortcut system now that's driven by a json file that the user can (in theory) edit. As we go I'll cover all of the game actions with accelerators. Below you can see the shortcuts are listed on the ability buttons. There's much more of that kind of detail work remaining, I think it's very important. Also below, now when it's not your turn the edges of the screen are darkened.


Actually I really like that look, I wonder if I should use a (less severe) edge effect all the time? Or is it annoying? Maybe I just like that this map has lighting, unlike the tower map, which is just using ambient light..

Better daylight is on my short list, but first some more usability improvements. We need better tooltips, better health bars, and... in-world combat text to show damage as it happens! I think those improvement will make the combat much more approachable and allow me to focus more on the underlying system itself, which still needs to be nailed down.

No comments:

Post a Comment