After posting the last update, we realized that the mission shots were pretty.. ugly. So we did a bunch of environment work. Let me sum it up:
- Converted all our scenery and walls to use models instead of just images, for a huge performance gain, because now we can render portions as opaque, and discard fully transparent portions. This means we're drawing far fewer pixels in total, which is great.
- Fixed the overlapping light performance issue that was hitting us when we had many point lights close together in a scene, for another big performance boost. Now you can have lots of lights close together and it's no problem.
- Greatly improved the quality of the shadows, since we fixed the light performance issue.
- Darkened non-walkable areas so it's more clear where you can move.
- Added dappled light, with wind. This makes a huge huge difference for outdoor scenes. I'm kindof in love with it.
- Swapped out our HDR tone mapper for one that preserves saturation better, which means our colors are no-longer so washed out.
- Fixed some issues with the scenery fade algorithm.
I think environments are looking good now. Not shippable yet, but the tech is coming together nicely. Of course there are still a lot of missing pieces around combat clarity, and I'll hit a couple of those next, before moving back to the campaign.
The goal there is to put together a beginning-to-end experience that I can show people. Then, to start iterating on gameplay.
No comments:
Post a Comment